Parks & Recreation | Jackson County | North Carolina
- This adventure is for ages fourteen and up. Throughout the summer months, we are offering various introduction to Bellyak classes. Bellyaking is prone (laying down) paddling – easy to enter, exit, and maneuver. Each class will focus on techniques for prone paddling, safety, and fun. Space is limited, pre-registration is required.
- Throughout the year our goal is to provide basic camping experiences to families in our community. We organize overnight camping at both Ralph J. Andrews Campground and the front lawns of our recreation centers to provide different levels of experience to families. All of our campouts are centered around teaching basic camping etiquette and procedures in hope families will go out on their own and enjoy the outdoors. Camping equipment may be reserved at no additional cost and pre-registration is required,
Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP)
- What's SUP!? Join us on the water and learn! Our Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) trips are offered throughout the warm months of May - August. Each trip will be instructor guided on flat, calm waters for all levels of paddlers. However, our SUP adventures do have some prerequisites to be eligible to participate. Some of those include: breathing independently, ability to hold your breath underwater, ability to hold your head upright without support, manage personal care and mobility independently, ability to get on and off of the paddle board independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance from instructor, ability to follow instructions, ability to comprehend hazards and safety concerns, ability to swim independently in deep waters, and the ability to have fun. Our SUP courses are open to ages 10-99 years of age. Minors under the age of 17 must be accompanied by an adult. We offer trips during the weekends and have special women only courses held on Wednesdays throughout the warm months. For more information about costs, trips locations, transportation, equipment, and instructors please call 828-293-3053 and speak with Molly Neary.
Friday Night Ski/Snowboarding
- During the winter months, typically January and February, we take groups to Cataloochee Ski Resort in Maggie Valley, NC to enjoy a night session on the snow. Our program offers an experience for all levels of skiers and boarders. We offer great group rates for lift tickets and rental equipment.To receive the group rates, we must have a minimum of 15 people registered. Early registration is required for all trips.
- Downhill Ski/Snowboard Lessons are open to everyone ages 8 and above. The Parks and Recreation Department partners with Cataloochee Ski Resort in Maggie Valley to offer participants the opportunity to learn to ski or snowboard at a discounted rate. Lessons are taught on Sunday afternoons in January and February for 5 weeks. Your lift ticket is valid from 12:30-4:30pm and lessons are taught from 1:30-3:00pm. If you have never skied or snowboarded or just want to brush up on some new tricks, the Cataloochee Ski School has an instructor just for your skill level. Participants must provide their own transportation to and from the Ski Resort.
- During the spring, summer, and fall months we plan to provide multiple opportunities for individuals and families to experience flatwater canoeing and kayaking on lakes in our area. We will plan trips on various lakes - Bear Creek Lake, Cedar Cliff, Wolf Creek Lake, and more! All equipment is provided. Spaces are limited for each trip; pre-registration is required.
Kayaking Adventures Flyer
- Our mountain biking programs are for ages 10 years old and up. The goal is to help provide in-depth skill development for those interested in pursuing mountain biking as a lifelong sport and help build a community of riders. Our trips will allow participants to explore new trails and build confidence on their bikes. Prerequisites: Participants should have basic mountain biking skills such as knowledge of safety, simple bike repair, using gears and brakes, trail etiquette, and riding experience. Participants should also have a personal helmet and bike in good standing. Equipment is not provided. All children 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Pre-registration is required for all trips.
Trail Running Group
- Join us on the trails! We are starting up a new group that will meet on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month starting in January 2019 at the (HHS) Health and Human Science Building Trailhead on the campus of Western Carolina University from 4:30apm-6:00pm. Please fee free to join in anytime. During the winter months' headlamps are required for safety (not provided). No registration fee required.
Wilderness First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid is a 2-day class for avid hikers, guides, trip leaders, and leaders on 1-2 day outings far from definitive medical care. If you plan to spend time in the back country you need to be prepared for the unexpected. This class will introduce you to techniques used to care for the ill or injured when far from definitve medical care. Classroom lectures and demonstrations are combined with realistic scenarios where mock patients will challenge you to integrate your learning. At the end of the course, you'll have the knowledge, skills and ability to make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Throughout the year we will provide week long adventure camps for children between the ages of 8 and 15 (boys and girls). Our camps will vary depending on the season and weather. Camps may include activities like stand up paddle boarding, hiking, fishing, mountain biking, canoeing, rock climbing, snow tubing, rafting, zip-lining, camping, and so much more! Camps are limited to 10 campers.
- Our youth fishing programs are offered throughout the year in various locations. We aim to teach children how to use simple fishing equipment, tie knots, and experience different fishing techniques. Fishing poles and bait will be provided for all children registered for our programs. Space is limited, pre-registration is required.
Nature Crafts & Programs
- Join us for nature crafts! Throughout the year our goal is to provide multiple opportunities for all ages to explore the environment through arts and crafts and hands on activities. We will have children specific programs as well as adult specific programs. We plan to explore nature through painting classes, photography classes, scavenger hunts, basic planting classes, and so much more!